Unicycle classes in Road Race disciplines

This discussion has an associated proposal. View Proposal Details here.

Comments about this discussion:

Started

In 4B.2, the first sentence reads: "Only standard unicycles may be used."
This is clearly incorrect as a general statement pertaining to Road races. Geared unicycles are very common in the Unlimited class, they must be permitted.
I suggest to simple delete this sentence.
The sentence immediately following it, reads "Riders may use different unicycles for different racing events, as long as all comply with the rules for events in which they are entered." That is good enough on its own.

Which brings me to my second point.
Nowhere in the rules can I find that 24 Class is the usual Class for 10km, and 29 Class is the usual Class for Marathon and 100km. Is this something we want to prescribe? Or is a host free to organise, as an example, a 10km race as 29 Class and Unlimited Class, and NOT as 24 Class?

Comment

Klaas, you are quite the proofreader! And much appreciation for you and your fellow non-native English speakers for finding and helping to fix numerous flaws in the text, much of which was probably written by native English speakers.  :-P

Yes, that sentence probably dates back to pre-Schlumpf, and I don't think we need it, as we have the definitions (of "unicycle") in Section 1.

Comment

Is a host free to organise, as an example, a 10km race as 29 Class and Unlimited Class, and NOT as 24 Class?

(I think not.)

Comment

A host is free to piss everybody off by not letting 24's race the 10k. So far, none have dared.  :-P

Comment

And none would want to. But I'd rather prescribe it.

Comment

Klaas, you are correct that the classes are not prescribed for any of the Road Racing events. I think they should be, or at least they should be for Unicon.

Comment

I Agree.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

On the proposal:

- 4B.2, 2nd and 3rd paragraphs - It should mention that hosts can have more than those required categories; they aren't stuck with just those two.

- The chart of Unicycle Size Limitations would best be presented as a table, where the columns line up. Even then, the Unlimited line is a little redundant; you can probably just say "Unlimited | No limitations" or similar.

- I understand why we need minimum wheel sizes for Road racing, so that works here.  :-)

The rest looks good!

Comment

The proposal says "must have two categories" intentionally. I don't think we want to dilute our fixed-distance races with more than the two usual categories. The reason we "protect" these fixed distances in the first place, is because they are recognised and there are previous results and official worlkd records for the two categories mentioned. What do others think?

The chart is intended as a table, just like it is now. I didn't bother to format it as a table in the proposal. What matters is that some of the content is different.
I like Unlimited to stay as it is, stating No limit or Unlimited in each column. Since it is a table, you have three "cells" on the line/row pertaining to Unlimited. Now I know you could merge them, but I'd rather not.

OK on the minimum sizes (for Road).

Copyright ©

IUF 2018