Proposal 48: Lane Assignments (updating 2D.8) [ Revision 3 ]Committee: Track
Submitted on 2019-05-16
Status: Passed on June 02, 2019
The rule 2D.8 about lante assignments is outdated and the described system is not used at the competitions. In fact, the lane assignment is done in advance and is mostly based on the times of the riders.
At some conventions, lanes are preassigned at time of registration. At other conventions, riders decide among themselves. If riders disagree, the Clerk makes lane assignments. In races where more than one heat is necessary per age group, every effort must be made to see that the fastest riders compete in the same heat. If the track has undesirable lanes due to potholes or other problems, this should be considered when lanes are assigned. A very bad or dangerous lane might not be used at all. The Referee can override the Clerk’s choice of lane assignments. The general rule is that riders decide for themselves.
1. The riders with the fastest seed times will be placed in the last heat, the next riders in the second last heat, etc. until all riders are distributed over the heats.
2. In age group races the distribution is done according to the seed times. Riders for whom no seed times are given will be placed without time behind the rider with the slowest seed time. The order in which riders with the same time are seeded will be decided by lot.
3. In final races the distribution is done according to the times achieved in the age group races. The order in which riders with the same time will be seeded shall be decided by lot.
4. The lane assignment in lane-bound races is carried out according to 2D.8.1
5. In each heat at least three riders should be seated if possible; however, this number can be undercut due to cancellations.
2D.8.1 Lane assignments in lane-bound races
1. In races up to and including 100m the lanes are to be distributed as follows in each heat:
- If the number of lanes is odd, the rider with the fastest seed time in the race will be placed on the middle lane. The rider with the next fastest seed time will be placed on the lane to the right of the middle lane (number of the middle lane +1) and all other riders will be placed alternately to the left and right of the middle lane according to their seed times.
- If the number of lanes is even, the rider with the fastest seed time will be placed on the lane with half the number of lanes. The rider with the next fastest seed time will be placed to the right of this lane (half lane number +1) and all other riders will be placed alternately to the left and right according to their seed times.
2. In races from 200m the lanes are to be distributed as follows in each heat:
- The rider with the fastest seed time in the race will be placed on lane 1, the rider with the next fastest seed time will be placed on lane 2 and all other riders will be placed one lane higher according to their seed times.
3. If a lane cannot be used, due to poor quality or other reasons, skip it and proceed as described above.
Example for the seeding of a 8-lane track from faster to slower seed time: 100m and shorter: 4,5,3,6,2,7,1,8 200m and longer: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
For more information and the the improvement of the proposal please look and comment into discussion#112: "Lane Assignments (updating 2D.8)".
- Revision 3 changed by Jan Vocke (21 May 16:30)
Adding the introduction sentence
- Revision 2 changed by Jan Vocke (16 May 17:15)
- Reference corrected (according to 2D.8.1)
- Revision 1 changed by Jan Vocke (16 May 16:50)
Votes on this proposal:
10 out of 10 voting members have voted.
Agree: 9, Disagree: 0, Abstain: 1.