Relay (Track) - takeover zone

This discussion has an associated proposal. View Proposal Details here.

Comments about this discussion:

Started

I have just realized that the current rulebook still contains the old text regarding the takeover zones at the relay races. When I created the other proposal regarding the relay I didn't notice this, because I simply copied the text didn't read it exactly.

Since I do not know if all committee members have heard about it, a brief explanation of the situation:

Slightly more than a year ago (with the start of 2018) the IAAF (the International Association of Athletics Federations) changed its rules regarding the relay takeover zone. The 10-metre acceleration zone and 20-metre takeover zone for each changeover in 4x100m 4x200m relays has been merged into one 30-metre takeover zone.

Since the markings of the athletics were always used for the relay in unicycling competitions, and since these rule changes are also connected with a change of the markings, the German federations considered at the beginning of 2018 how to deal with the new situation. They approached the IUF in person of Olaf and explained the situation. Olaf asked if any of the race experts might already define a rule draft for the IUF rules, based on the existing rule, which would take into account the new rules of the IAAF, as it seemed most useful to continue to use the markings of athletics. In addition, Olaf wanted to inform the IUF Board that a short-term rule adjustment would be necessary. Unfortunately I don't know how the IUF Board perceived the whole situation at that time.

Therefore I created the following draft and sent it to the German associations and the IUF (Olaf):

3B.6.1 Relay (Track)

Usually 4 x 100m or 4 x 400m like in athletics. In the 4 x 100m relay each takeover zone shall be 30m long, in the 4 x 400m and longer relays each takeover zone shall be 20m. The takeover zones must be marked on the track. (The zones shall start and finish at the edges of the zone lines nearest the start line in the running direction.) In the 4 x 100m relay, athletes are not permitted to line up outside their takeover zones, and shall start within the zone. Riders may remount if necessary, and must pick up the baton if it is dropped. The handover of the baton must be within the takeover zone. This means that before the baton crosses the start mark of the takeover zone only the incoming rider is in touch with the baton and at the end of the takeover zone only the outgoing rider is in touch with the baton. Riders may not throw the baton to make a pass and may not touch the ground with any part of their body while making a pass. If the baton is not handed over within the marked takeover zone, the team will be disqualified. Leaving of the lane within the takeover zone or when remounting does not result in disqualification as long as the riders do not obstruct, impede or interfere with another rider’s progress. There is no defined preparation area for the next riders as long as they stay within their lanes.

Since the first tracks where unicycling competitions take place in Germany were already marked with the new markings at that time, in germany we decided to apply this new rule for relay races from now on - also because we didn't hear anything negative from Olaf on the IUF side, I assumed until now that the IUF board agreed to the rule adjustment... but since the currently published rulebook still contains the old definition of the takeover zone, I am no longer sure.

I really hope that the rule change will find its way into the rulebook after the current rulebook committee and will create a official proposal for it again ;)

Comment

I wasn't aware, but I find it strange that the takeover zones are now different between different relay distances. The speeds between 4x100, 4x200 and 4x400 are quite comparable, both in athletics and in unicycling. Anyway, I agree to follow IAAA rules.

Comment

I agree that it seems a little weird to have different takeover zones between different relay distances. But in athletics it has always been a little weird, because the 10-metre acceleration zone existed only for the changeover in 4x100m 4x200m relays. There was no pre described acceleration zone for longer relays (like the 4x400m). I think the flow of the race (only the 4x100m and 4x200m relays are held in lanes over the whole distance) is the reason for the different changover zones.

But in the end I think the only thing we can do is to follow the IAAF - just to make sure we have markings on the track that we can use for our competitions in the future. And I'm glad you'd go the same way.

Comment

I am of the opinion that the IUF doesn't make the basic Athletics rules, and we should follow IAAF.

As for why the extra 10m? I think it's precisely because those shorter races are held entirely within the width of the lane, and since the running speed is basically all out, timing for the ride ahead is critical, so they are given more space. I have never run Track, only watched it on TV.  :-)

Comment

I understand that IAAF has a specific takeover length for 4x200m. Would we ever do a different relay than 4x100 or 4x400?

If not, we should change or maybe delete the first sentence.

If yes, than if it's only 4x200m we should copy what IAAF prescribes for takeover in 4x200m.

If it's even more general and we can do a x b meter, where a and b can be any natural number, I'm not sure what to do.

Besides the above, you deleted "Mixed male/female teams may be used, and reasonable age groups may be used depend- ing on the number of expected competitors of the event. Each relay team may have any mix of ages, the age of the oldest rider determines the age group." from your new rule. Is that an oversight?

Comment

Jan,

The IUF Board voted to accept the rule that you wrote as a temporary update to the rule until this committee could discuss it again. It was on my list of things to bring up here, I just haven't had time. Thanks for remembering the topic.

Comment

I heard about it and I'm in favour of following the IAAF.

Comment

What about my comment on the first sentence of 3B.6.1, in connection with a possible 4 x 200 meter?

Comment

The IAAF rules describe three different ways to run a 4x200m relay - the prefered option is to run the relay entirely in lanes. In this case the takeover length is the same as for the 4x100m relay. The other options is to run the 4x200m relay partly in lanes. In this case only the takeovers which take part "in the lanes" are 30m.

I missed the last two sentences while copying because of the page break in the rulebook, I'm sorry - I've added them back, of course.

@Scott: Thanks for the explanation, at that time I didn't notice what the decision of the IUF board was like, now I know :)

Comment

I suggest we delete the word "Usually" from the first sentence. Thus, the only officially recognised Relay distances will be 4x100m and 4x400m. This would not stop a host from offering a 4x200m Relay if they wish - in which case they can make up the rules as they see fit.

Comment

I'd be fine with that. If there are no opposing voices, I will revise the proposal and delete the "Usually" from the first sentence.

Comment

Klaas I have revised the Proposal and changed "Usualy" into "The relay distances shall be". This should make it clear that the relay distances officially recognised by the IUF are only these two.

When I read through the text once again, I noticed that it is sometimes not very easy to recognize individual aspects of the rule. Some are also arranged in a confusing order. Personally I would prefer a kind of listing with single paragraphs for a single aspect of the rule - but perhaps it would make more sense to make such a change for all rules together.

XB.X.X Relay (Track)

1. The relay distances shall be 4 x 100m or 4 x 400m like in athletics.
2. In the 4 x 100m relay each takeover zone shall be 30m long, in the 4 x 400m and longer relays each takeover zone shall be 20m. The takeover zones must be marked on the track. (The zones shall start and finish at the edges of the zone lines nearest the start line in the running direction.)
3. In the 4 x 100m relay, athletes are not permitted to line up outside their takeover zones, and shall start within the zone.
4. In the 4 x 400m relay, there is no defined preparation area for the next riders as long as they stay within their lanes.
5. The handover of the baton must be within the takeover zone. This means that before the baton crosses the start mark of the takeover zone only the incoming rider is in touch with the baton and at the end of the takeover zone only the outgoing rider is in touch with the baton. Riders may not throw the baton to make a pass and may not touch the ground with any part of their body while making a pass. If the baton is not handed over within the marked takeover zone, the team will be disqualified.
5. Riders may remount if necessary, and must pick up the baton if it is dropped.
6. Leaving of the lane within the takeover zone or when remounting does not result in disqualification as long as the riders do not obstruct, impede or interfere with another rider’s progress.
7. Riders may remount if necessary, and must pick up the baton if it is dropped.
8. Mixed male/female teams may be used, and reasonable age groups may be used depending on the number of expected competitors of the event. Each relay team may have any mix of ages, the age of the oldest rider determines the age group.

Nevertheless, we should change the following sentence from the old rule, because this does not apply to the 4 x 100m scale anymore. "There is no defined preparation area for the next riders as long as they stay within their lanes." The riders are only allowed to line up within the takeover zone of the 4 x 100m relay. I would therefore suggest to change the sentence as follows and to write it further up: "In the 4 x 400m relay, there is no defined preparation area for the next riders as long as they stay within their lanes."

Comment

I sometimes don't "feel" the correct meaning of words like should, shall, must, may, can, etc. To me, the new texts suggests that a 4x400m should be held, even if I see the word "or".

Perhaps, to avoid confusion, you should change the first sentence into "The relay distances recognised by the IUF are 4 x 100m and 4 x 400 m."

Your other comment is very useful. I too have noticed that the rulebook structure is jumbled in multiple ways.
This is about the sequence of chapters, sequence of sections within chapters, sequence of "aspects" within sections.
I like your numbered rules very much. Maybe this is something for the next Rulebook round, but it's a big effort!

As to the last issue: I haven't checked that, but it seems like you should edit the proposal accordingly.

Comment

When has the 4x400 relay been done? Is there a World Record list for it?

Why not remove it?

Comment

The 4 x 400m relay was offered at some competitions in Germany in the past and is a really very nice additional team event, also because it differs clearly from the "normal" 4 x 100m relay. I think it is unfortunately offered much too rarely and I would be very happy if we could keep the discipline as an official competition discipline.

I think we should remove those disciplines from the rulebook that we consider unsuitable as competition disciplines. Those that would fit well into a competition in the sense of competitive sport should be left in the rulebook. Even if we don't offer all of them at world championships, I think it is interesting for other competitions, too, which disciplines are considered as competition disciplines by the IUF.

Comment

I'm not in favour of removing it. I remember that it was offered more often some years ago. I don't know why it was not in schedules recently (I guess mainly because of the lack of time) but I still think we should leave it in the rulebook.

Comment

I agree to keeping 4x400m in the Rulebook as a recognised discipline. We should however not require it to be part of any convention.

I think we should require 4x100m to be part of Unicon. That is not subject of this proposal though.

Copyright ©

IUF 2018