7B.6.1.2 Large Group - create maximum number? (Closed for comments)

Comments about this discussion:

Started

Current rule is this:

7B.6.1.2 Large Group
Minimum of nine riders, no maximum number of riders.

In Japan they have changed this so the small group is 3 to 9 riders; large group is 10 to 18 riders.

There was a lot of opinions about this from many competitors and coaches; They said,  "there is an upper limit to small but there is no upper limit to Large," it's not fair as a competition. For example, what can be expressed by 3 and 10 people, the formation and so on also differ greatly. Likewise, 10 and 24 people also differ greatly

What do others think about creating a maximum for Large Group? And changing the numbers?

Comment

At the expense of suggestion another competition, which is not something I actually want to have to organize, I think there are really four approximate group sizes:

~4 riders
8 riders
16 riders
24 riders

When I think of skills, formations, and possibilities, each of the sizes offers different routines. I'm not sure the best way to fit that into our small and large group competitions though.

Comment

I think it makes sense to keep the rules as they are now. Small and large freestyle are sufficiently different that it makes sense to have two categories, but I don't see problems with teams bringing too many riders. As cool as it is to have a lot of riders it also makes it a lot harder to make a routine so I think practicalities end up being the deciding factor for most teams. It's also not an advantage since you typically end up with a lower level (even if only slightly) than you otherwise would have had.

Comment

I think that we should keep the things the way they are. I'm not sure how to divide things up without creating many more categories. I do think that the sizes Scott came up with are accurate but I also think that there are advantages and disadvantages to having more and fewer riders. I don't think we need a maximum number. There are mentions in the judging rules of taking into consideration number of riders.

Comment

I agree with Magnus and Patrica. We should not change the rule. I see more the problem in small groups. A group with 3 people is more like a pair freestyle and 8 people are more like a „normal“ group. But  I would not change it also. 

Comment

I am also in favour of not changing this rule

Comment

The majority of comments are against a change. I'm closing the discussion.

Copyright ©

IUF 2018