7C.5 Scoring - No dismount score mentioned

This discussion has an associated proposal. View Proposal Details here.

Comments about this discussion:

Started

In the mentioned section only the Performance and Technical Score is mentioned in the calculation of the final score, whereas the Dismount Score is not mentioned. I think this needs to be changed to make the rules consistent.

Comment

I agree.

What about this text that reflects what is currently done with the application:

7C.5 Scoring

To tabulate the scores in Artistic Freestyle events, each judge’s scores in a category or age group are totaled and restated as a percentage of that judge’s total points for that category or age group, i.e. the judge’s relative preferences for each performer. Then the percentages from all of the judges are totaled averaged together. This is done first in both Performance, and Technical, and Dismount. Once a percentage total for each competitor has been calculated for both Performance and Technical, these three averaged percentages are combined added together to see the final results.

----

I'm trying not to have too much information here, but still have enough details such that people can understand the math.

I used the word "averaged" instead of "totaled" because this is the only way to account for different number of Dismount Judges vs the Performance / Technical judges.

Comment

Looks better than the current rule :) In my opinion, however, some things are not quite clear yet.

1. "Then the percentages from all of the judges are averaged together." -> I think we shoud add, that the percentages are averaged per rider, just to make it totally clear.

2. "Once a percentage total for each competitor has been calculated, [...]" -> Is percentage total the correct word? Maybe "the percentage average value" is better since we averaged the percantages. But maybe it's clear to an native speaker...

3. "[...] these three averaged percentages are combined added together to see the final results." -> Would it be useful to add that they are added together according to their weighting?

Comment

Yes, I agree with your clarifications. Thank you.

Comment

I agree with these clarifications.

Comment

I agree with this.

Comment

Please make a proposal.

Comment

I don't think I can make proposals in the Freestyle Committee, but here's what I would propose:

Old Rule:

7C.5 Scoring

To tabulate the scores in Artistic Freestyle events, each judge’s scores in a category or age group are totaled and restated as a percentage of that judge’s total points for that category or age group, i.e. the judge’s relative preferences for each performer. Then the percentages from all of the judges are totaled together. This is done first in both Performance and Technical. Once a percentage total for each competitor has been calculated for both Performance and Technical, these percentages are combined together to see the final results.

New Rule:

7C.5 Scoring

To tabulate the scores in Artistic Freestyle events, each judge’s scores in a category or age group are totaled and restated as a percentage of that judge’s total points for that category or age group, i.e. the judge’s relative preferences for each performer. Then the percentages from all of the judges are totaled together averaged per rider. This is done first in both Performance, and Technical, and Dismount. Once a percentage total the percentage average value for each competitor has been calculated for both Performance and Technical, these three averaged percentages are combined added together according to their weighting to see the final results.

Comment

I also agree with this!

Comment

"averaged per rider" is good, but should be "averaged per rider in each category (Performance, Technical, and Dismount)." Then the next sentence is not needed.

I do not like the removal of "combined" in the last sentence. We are not adding (summing), we are doing a weighted average. I prefer "combined" over "added" but I think the additional of "according to their weighting" is good. I would even include "... weighting (section 7D.1)".

I also made a few very small English changes.

This gives us this NEW RULE:

(There are starting to be too many changes for the formatted changes to be readable, I hope people can follow the changes.)

To tabulate the scores in Artistic Freestyle events, each judge’s scores in a category or age group are totaled and restated as a percentage of that judge’s total points for that category or age group, i.e. the judge’s relative preferences for each performer. Then the percentages from all of the judges in each category (Performance, Technical, and Dismount) are averaged per rider. Once the percentage average value for each category for each competitor has been calculated, these three averaged percentages are combined together according to their weighting to see the rider's final result.

Comment

Oops, forgot to include the reference to section 7D.1 in my proposed text...

New Rule:

To tabulate the scores in Artistic Freestyle events, each judge’s scores in a category or age group are totaled and restated as a percentage of that judge’s total points for that category or age group, i.e. the judge’s relative preferences for each performer. Then the percentages from all of the judges in each category (Performance, Technical, and Dismount) are averaged per rider. Once the percentage average value for each category for each competitor has been calculated, these three averaged percentages are combined together according to their weighting (see section 7D.1) to see the rider's final result.

Copyright ©

IUF 2018